2015 is definitely a year of new opportunities. It doesn’t matter if you are selling your services online, developing e-commerce, or advising. It doesn’t matter if you are freelancer, a start-up, an SAAS seller, or if you are providing accounting services. Analysis, drawing conclusions, and growth are the common denominators in all of them. It’s called Growth Hacking.
A key to success lies in measuring the correlation between:
- size and source of Web traffic
- SEO indices
- customer retention
- conversions and goals
Here are ten “commandments” to help you achieve success:
1. Let people find you
There is no business without customers.
Google Keyword Tool – https://adwords.google.com/o/KeywordTool – is a simple but powerful tool contained in the Google Adwords bundle. It searches the most popular Google phrases in specific countries. Additionally, the advanced options track average CPC (cost per click) and competition level on specific keywords in Adwords. I recommend getting stuck into this process. Being on the first page for a keyword that our customers don’t search for is neither useful nor profitable.
Searching for as many possible phrases that bring traffic with little competition level is crucial. Anyway, we should calculate our potential and not be too hasty. Positioning is not a disposable act; it works for many weeks, or even months.
If our website is not popular, and we don’t have many strong backlinks, then even good keywords won’t help us. We can’t hope to be listed on the first page of search engines in such a situation.
2. Measure SEO indicators
– measure search engine positions with the help of specialist SEO tools in every single country you are targeting. Do not forget about competition analysis and its indicators.
– measure the quality of your backlinks with the analysis of internal/external links and phrases to which they link.
– measure the quality of your own websites – density of keywords you target, semantic codes, loading speed, and many more factors
3. Acquiring paid traffic makes sense, but only if it leads to reasonable conversion rate (more about conversions below)
Examples of traffic sources:
– Facebook Ads
– Adwords Ads
– (for English content)
– http://Adroll.com (retargeting) – advert for our already existing visitors. A very efficient tool for an acceptable amount of money.
4. Advise, help, expand the coverage in networking and social media. Chase your customer.
Examples of page with discussions which can help expanding your range:
5. Measure Customer Retention
Retention is the most important index for businesses that sell products or services for subscription. Measuring how useful our product/service is absolutely vital in this case. It helps us to answer the needs of our customers more efficiently.
One of the best tools for measuring retention is Mixpanel.com
6. Measure conversions
The second most important index is Goal Conversions – efficient budget allocation.
These tools can be very helpful:
– Google Analytics
7. Work on the best price for every group of customers
– test different prices (A/B test), but never change prices for existing customers
If possible, implement a subscription model or SAAS that will allow you to estimate revenues much more easily
Measure Churn Rates and Customer Acquisition Costs
8. Your customer is the best salesman
– create affiliate programs, loyalty programs and recommendations – customers recommending your product to their “friends” will always be more efficient than you.
– create content and make yourself easy to reach
– go viral – can you create viral content? – it’s one of the hardest tasks, but also one of the best methods for expanding your range. Low-budget infographics showing some interesting trends can be your viral material. Think of what can be your viral.
10. Learn more and supplement your knowledge
The Internet is filling up with helpful knowledge. But sometimes paying for it is a better idea, because it will be much more complex. I can recommend a few sources that have brought me a lot of useful knowledge:
– http://mixergy.com/ – over 90 courses and 800 interviews with people who have succeeded.
– http://sixteenventures.com/ – advanced course for businesses based on free trial models
– Amazon.com books – another level of quality, books are always a good fit for content coming from the Web
Get all of these actions working every day, every month, and don’t stop. Your business will surely notice a major improvement. Good luck!