E-commerce marketing strategies worth considering

E-commerce is a fast-growing industry, and it will expand even more. In 2012, 78 percent of US adults with annual household incomes of $75,000 or more shopped at Amazon.com. And the market is constantly growing – statistically based forecasts show that $87.9 billionwill be spent on consumer electronics E-Commerce purchases by 2016. On the other hand, the competition on this market is becoming more aggressive. So delivering traffic at an effective return on investment is becoming more and more of a challenge…

How can you increase YOUR online sales?

The answer is easy – by increasing the number of visitors to your website and your conversion rate. That’s the best way, and here you can find six marketing strategies which will help you do it.

Colibri Growth Hacking Tools for E-commerce

When you’re running an E-commerce, make yourself unique. Your potential clients will notice and appreciate that. You can help yourself by using some SEO tactics. For example:

  • optimize your landing pages
  • don’t use unethical methods – honesty is the best policy
  • focus on non-promotional content – too much advertising is annoying
  • spend some time on the descriptions of your products – don’t use manufacturers’ descriptions
  • every Web page should have a different meta description – it’s good practice
  • use internal linking – links to your products from the main page

Try to focus on how much traffic and conversions you get from your keyword positions, not the positions itself.

1. AdRoll – retargeting ads

From AdRoll.com: “Generally, 2% of shoppers convert on the first visit to an online store. Retargeting brings back the other 98%.” Sounds promising. So how does it work? It’s pretty simple: A visitor is viewing your site, looking at your products, but then leave without purchasing. AdRoll puts your ad on sites that your potential clients visits later. It keeps you on their minds and brings them back to you. It’s an efficient way when you sell products that need a second thought. You also have to remember to segment your clients and tailor the retargeting ads.

2. Social Media – not only Twitter and Facebook

Make social media your ally in a fun way. Don’t bother if you don’t have time or a little bit of creativity. Promote your content and services in an interesting way and at the same time connect with customers. Building a social network is hard work but, if used wisely, will drive your customers and increase traffic. It’s also a nice gesture for your long-term clients.

3. Google Adwords – the holy grail

Pay-per-click (or PPC) advertising has become the most popular and widely used form of paid advertising. It’s easy to set up, the traffic you get is highly targeted, and you pay only for actual leads. This type of advertising will help you reach a larger market and make you visible on more websites. Google and Yahoo are the most popular advertisers, but you have to be smart with PPC – popular keywords may be expensive to acquire.

According to the Internet Advertising Bureau, paid search now represents 47 percent of the Web ad market. A lot, isn’t it? Paid search ads use keywords to attract sales. According to the Pareto Principle, roughly 80 percent of sales are believed to come from 20 percent of keywords. I wrote about Pareto here: Customer Satisfaction – 6 tips to improve it for your e-business.

4. Blog and Inbound Marketing

When you know your target audience, you can think about a blog – your online space to publish remarkable content for your clients. It’s an asset with pros for both sides – a great source of information for your customers and a PR benefit for you. An official blog can become a valuable platform for marketing activity. You can use some SEO techniques and rank your blog on search engine result pages. This makes the blog easy to find for journalists and people who might be looking for information.

E-commerce is not equal. Study your budget carefully and test all possible funnels that drive traffic.

Karol Pokojowczyk
karolpokojowczyk

Karol Pokojowczyk is the CEO and Founder of Colibri.io – an online Growth Hacking Tool. Previously founded 2.0 Web Solutions (Drupal Agency), managed developers and helped number of companies grow online.


This entry has 0 replies