Heading tags are used to differentiate the heading of a page from the rest of the content. The most important heading tag is the h1 tag and least important is the h6 tag. The heading structure is useful for SEO purpose.
How important is heading structure?
Heading structure has an impact on both the SEO and usability of your site.
- Search engine checks the relevancy of the header tag with the content.
- Keywords: header tags should be consistent with other parts of the website.
- The h1 is the most important tag and it should never be skipped on a page.
- Some users use a screen reader so it’s easier to navigate sections of content by page structure.
- The h1 tag gives users a quick overview of the content.
If you’re going to optimize your site for a specific keywords – this is where that phrase should appear. This tells the search engine that these words are important.
H1 best practices:
- H1 should define the most important keyword (but avoid keyword stuffing).
- H1 tag should be employed only once per page.
- H2 and H3 tags are also important – they hold important information about the content.
Using H-tags is not a waste of time. Apart from being an excellent instrument to supply relevant headers and sub-headers, Google does take note.